IPP Progress Report for the week 2012-09-03 - 2012-09-09

(Up to IPP Progress Reports)

Eugene Magnier

  • finished up the psphot saturated star radial profile analysis, and it really helps a lot (see Bill's report). Also fixed some issues with duplicate detections (using a mask to block re-detection of the cores) and negative fluxes in linear fits (at least in psphot; psphotStack was fixed earlier).
  • update the dvo schema and pushed changes into the trunk.

Serge Chastel

  • Tuesday off
  • Documentation of the "Who is the cluster?" software.
  • "Who is the cluster?" given to MOPS/Denver.

Heather Flewelling

Mark Huber

  • vacation

Bill Sweeney

  • Tested Gene's improvements to psphotStack to better model massively saturated stars. The number of false detections is greatly reduced around such objects.
  • Ran staticsky and skycalibration analysis for SAS_v9 which is the new psphotStack running on the SAS_v8 pixels. Made a configuration error so had to run this twice.
  • Started working on a design for software to manage "release versions" for IPP data. This is being done to support several requirements.
    • users need updated calibration information in IPP data. For example zero points for a stack or exposure. These change with re-calibrations, but we have no method for tracking this information and so we can't update the headers of fits files which are requested by users through the postage stamp server
    • currently there is no way to track which pixels the IPP used for to measure a given detection in the PSPS data base.
    • we need to distinguish "released" data from test runs in the IPP data base.
  • Iterated with Conrad on the interfaces for the postage stamp user interface project.
  • Investigated why some M31 warp data did not get distributed to MPG. There was a problem early on in the distribution set up. It didn't expect data in filters other than r and i. By the time we fixed the coniguration to distribute the data, the pixels had been cleaned up. Since we didn't build update cabability into the background restored system, I needed to do some time and energy to get the data to be regenerated.
  • Lot's of assistant czar work helping to manage the fallout from the MHPCC cluster power outage and various other strange problems.

Chris Waters

  • Investigated the possibility of minimizing row-to-row variations by constructing 8 per-OTA correction images. http://svn.pan-starrs.ifa.hawaii.edu/trac/ipp/wiki/GPC1_Bias_Pattern_Study This looks somewhat promising, although it will require some level of development.
  • Continued making w-band static sky stacks. These should be finished soon, and we will be able to switch to using them for differencing.
  • Began work on background model warping. Currently sorting out some WCS issues and trying to determine why the interpolation fails for a significant fraction of the output image.